Sometimes winter is different than before; everyone must prepare for harsh winter conditions. Winter is the season loved by everyone, but it can be very annoying sometimes because of too much cold. In the winter season sun does not appear more often, and people will also not be able to make them warm naturally.
There are many different ways, according to different needs, which help you to survive in extreme conditions. First is if you are inside the house, second is if you are outside the house, and the last is if you are having an event or a problem during this season.
Inside the house
- Keep your house fitted for a minimum of 65 degrees – The temperature inside the walls and the pipes inside the wall are slightly colder than the wall themselves because the pipeline contains water, and water might be cold. So, it would be ideal for you to keep your temperature at least lower than 65 degrees so that it would help you to keep from freezing inside your house.
- Check the location for the main water shutoff in your home – Make sure that you have every knowledge of shut off in your house because it might be necessary sometimes, then the situation is different. So, learning them is a good idea if you have to use them in the future.
- Open hot and cold faucets – You must open them in your house because it will let them drip slowly. It would be ideal for keeping moving water within the pipes in severely frigid temperatures because it will help prevent freezing and highly cold days.
- Check the fireplace – Having a fireplace in your house is one of the best things that can be useful during this season because, with the heat, you can keep yourself warm even at harsh temperatures. A fireplace can be a wooden stove, electric heater or anything that helps you keep yourself warm. You can also check before winter comes whether they are working properly or not.
You need to know that you should not keep combustible items near them because they can easily catch fire.
Outside the house
If your area has a high snowfall, it might damage your roof or make it colder. So, using backup gutters will help you seep water from your house. Lance is the key during cold weather, and stay out of potential hazards outside your house.
- Wear a lot of clothes – If you are going outside in harsh weather conditions, it would be ideal to have an extra layer of clothes on yourself. Or if the weather is not but the weather reports have told you that it will be cold anytime, then it might be ideal for you to carry an extra layer of clothes with you to be extra secure.
- Keep your entrance and sidewalk free from snow – Having ice and snow on your sidewalk or entrance will make you sleep on the ground and having injuries in the winter season is one of the worst things you can have. So, it is necessary to clean them daily so that the chances of falling of anyone or sleeping on your floor would be zero.
- Keep your garage door closed – Garage doors are often very big because they are designed to store a car or any vehicle inside them. Opening them, 24/7 might be very dangerous because all the cold outside your house will come inside, and the wind will also attack your house and make it colder. So, keep them close in harsh conditions.
In the event of a problem
Sometimes unfortunate events happen during the winter, but taking action quickly can minimize the damage. There are a few things you can do to prevent them from happening.
- Don’t wait for the frozen pipe to burst – If the pipes around your house are frozen, you have to take measures to thaw them quickly, or you can also take help from a plumber.
- If your pipe burst – In case your pipe burst, then the first thing you should do is turn off the water. It is important that you know that there is the main water shut off and you have to cut down the floor so the mess will not be more.
- Properly dry and repair water damage – It is important to prepare as soon as possible to help you prevent any potential problem with mould.
These are a few things that always happen in the winter season or harsh climatic conditions. You can take several measures to prevent this from happening. Going outside your house without a car might be very dangerous because it will not prevent you from freezing. The car is equipped with many things, such as a heater that will help you keep warm outside your house.